What is this?? This is my brand-spanking new blog, first one ever! Hi!
Anyways…I’m E! I’m a simple little person who loves reading anything but especially manga, binge-watching random shows, and wandering around the beautiful Pacific Northwest. I’ve recently been feeling the need for some sort of creative outlet, so I thought I’d create a little blog to share some of my thoughts. My current intentions for this space are:
- Discussing my favorite graphic novels/manga as well as broader thoughts about the medium as a whole.
- Recap some older, currently out-of-print series that are dear to my heart. I’d like to share these series so they’re not forgotten!
- Share a few pictures of this beautiful corner of the world that I am lucky to live in.
- Any other weird and/or nerdy things that happen to come to mind!
- The kitchen sink, maybe?
You may suspect I don’t have any real concrete vision for this blog…you would be right! I’ve never had a blog before, so I’m just going to see where this leads me. I’m pretty confident that it’ll take me to a nerdy place, though.
A little bit about me: I’ve been a dyed-in-the-wool bookworm for my whole damn life. I’ve been a fan of graphic novels, especially manga, since I was in middle school (editor’s note: THIS WAS A LONG TIME AGO) when a friend lent me her old Mixx copy of Sailor Moon. I was hooked and the rest is history. I just love the way comics/graphic novels/manga combine visual and written storytelling in a way that at lets you experience the best of both worlds. I’ve read a lot of manga over the years and obviously consider myself a geek, but I’d never claim to be an expert. For one thing, I have the (good? Bad?) habit of happily rereading favorite series instead of continuously seeking out new material, so some may find knowledge to be rather narrow (but some of those series I’ve damn near memorized by this point!). I know that these days, calling yourself a ‘nerd’ or ‘geek’ can be taken as an invitation to participate in a nerd competition, and I’m sure that to a lot of people, my interests don’t stack up. So, in the interest of not being called a poser (do people still say poser?) somewhere down the line, here are some stereotypically ‘nerdy’ things that I’m not very well versed on:
- Superhero comics/movies – I have so much respect for the longevity and cultural status that the big superheros (Superman, Batman, anything Marvel) have attained, but it’s not really my personal interest. And while I’ve seen some superhero movies, if you’re looking for an in-depth discussion about the tapestry of Marvel Universe movies…sorry, I’m not able to help.
- Sci-fi – This is iffy. Does Sailor Moon count as sci-fi? Cowboy Bebop? Urusei Yatsura? What I’m trying to say is I don’t know much about Star Trek or Star Wars.
- Some extremely popular, long-running and beloved manga – I’ll be honest. I’ve never read Dragon Ball (any of them), One Piece, or some of the other *huge* bedrock manga series. For the most part, this isn’t anything personal – it’s just that these particular series never caught my attention at the right time. I’m not adverse to reading them, I’ve just never gotten around to it. I’m hoping this might change sometime though! Maybe this blog will be a good inspiration to start reading new things!
Basically, I’m just me for better or worse, and all I really want it to have a reason to think a bit more in-depth about the pop culture things that have meant a lot to me over the years, and create an opportunity for myself to get those thoughts out in a creative and hopefully fun way. I feel strongly that I want this to be a positive little space- there’s already more than enough negativity in this world without me further adding to it – so I plan on mostly doing recommendations of things I already like, and leaving negative reviews to others. As I said, I’m brand new to writing a blog so things may change along the way as I learn more and get more experienced in this, but as long as I’m having fun and staying nerdy, I’m sure that it’ll be a fun ride!
Thanks for reading!